Here are some simple exercises to start you on your way to having a stronger core.
Build a Stronger Core
Following our previous blog entry that explained what core stability is and why it’s important, here are some simple exercises to start you on your way to having a stronger core.
WARNING: if you have any lower back issues, consult a health practitioner before commencing these exercises.
- Lie on your stomach on the ground
- Push up and hold your bodyweight off the ground by balancing on your forearms and toes
- Keep your back straight
- Don’t keep your bottom too high off ground or your groin too close to the ground
- Hold this position. Start with 20-30 seconds and slowly build up to 1 minute
The above picture is a good example of keeping your back straight.
Below is an example of what not to do with your lower back.
- Lie on your back on the ground
- Raise your arms so your shoulders leave the ground, with arms straight and next to your ears
- Raise up your legs so your bottom starts to leave the ground, with legs straight and toes pointed
- Contract your stomach so your lower back flattens to the ground
- Your body should be in the shape of the bottom of a rocking chair
- Rock back and forth so you don’t lose the initial shape
- Start with 10 rocks and build from there
If you have any issues that may hinder your performance of these exercises, consult a health practitioner before starting.
If you are having trouble with these exercises or need some more advanced core training, contact Jason at Excellence Coaching on 0411 494 889 or at email@example.com