Methods and Techniques
Alternative Foot Solutions are experts in alternative but effective ways to treat your feet, without invasive surgery or orthotics. The benefits to you are the elimination of pain, permanent physiological improvements to your body, and the ability to wear the footwear of your choice.
Foot Mobilisation Therapy (FMT)
By gentle mobilisation and manipulation, FMT physiologically changes the alignment of the joints in your feet, knees and hips.
While it’s called Foot Mobilisation Therapy, FMT can heal many areas of your body, not just your feet. FMT is based on gentle, controlled movements. The joints in your feet are taken through their natural motions to help your body heal and function just as nature intended.
FMT is gentle, painless and non-invasive.
The treatment process
- Assessment – Before we begin any treatment, we first conduct a thorough assessment of your needs.
- Diagnostic – If we need more information, we may send you for further examinations, such as having an x–ray. This will help in determining the best treatment for you.
- Evaluation – This is where we present you with your treatment options. You simply choose which is best ~ and most appropriate ~ for you and your lifestyle.
- Treatment – The healing begins!
Find the answers to your questions here.
- How can I decrease my dependence on orthotics?
Foot mobilisation podiatry coaxes your feet and body back to health by encouraging the joints of your feet to move through their natural range of motion. This corrects the position of your feet with movement and provides permanent physiological improvements. Unlike orthotics, which only work when you wear them, foot mobilisation changes the structure of your feet so your condition continues to improve with time.
- How does it work?
The treatment is a gentle series of movements through the joints of your feet guided by the podiatrist’s hands in a controlled movement. These movements may also include your hips and knees.
- Does the therapy hurt?
Generally—no. Sometimes initial mobilisations may be uncomfortable due to restriction within a joint but generally, the treatment is pain free.
- Do I have to change my shoes?
No, not at all. This is the big advantage of foot mobilisation therapy (FMT). Because the change is intrinsic, it does not restrict your choice of footwear. FMT is not reliant on devices like orthotics.
- Should I change my activity?
Generally, no. We actually encourage you to continue normal levels of activity. This allows us to monitor the treatment’s effectiveness.
- Do I have to continue the treatment forever?
Our goal is to make you as self-sufficient as possible after the initial treatment period. The advantage is that we focus on the cause of your pain by improving the alignment of your joints, and strengthening the muscles supporting those joints rather than trying to accommodate the problem, as other styles of treatment do.